In the nautical world of pleasure boating, there is a specific process to follow to ensure a fun day on the water. Skip one of those steps and you risk having a miserable experience.
The same holds true when buying a new home. There is a process to follow to ensure everything goes smoothly. Here are the basics.
- Find a good REALTOR®. Preferably someone who knows the area.
- Determine what you can afford. Get a pre-approved mortgage.
- Make a wish list. What kind of home or neighbourhood are you looking for? View the right properties. Pick those that closely match the criteria on your wish list.
- Make an offer. Your REALTOR® can help you make an offer that gets you the home you want at the right price.
- Get a home inspection. This is a must.
- Get the paperwork done. Your REALTOR®, lawyer and lender will typically handle all the transaction paperwork for you.
- Prepare for the move. Find a good mover. Don’t forget to arrange for telephone, internet, change of address and other details.
Follow this process and your move should be smooth sailing.